Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 1: Introductions

It's Day 1 of the class. There are four other students. So we do introductions.

First, there are two ladies who are best friends from Syracuse. One is originally from Sweden, the other from the Netherlands, I think. Apparently they've been felting since the womb. My lower lip drops a little.Next, a Japanese woman who owns a store and sews original designs for it. The upper lip starts to tremble. Finally, a woman who teaches at Parsons, the Fashion Institute of Design. Yes, she works on the same floor as Heidi Klum.

It is now my turn to introduce myself. And so I say the only thing I can say, "My name is Barb. I've been reading a lot about felting on blogs."

Sigh.

We head out to look for supplies. I'm screwed. SCREWED! But I reflect back on a little lesson I've learned from my husband. First, buy the most beautiful piece of silk you can find in the store. Forget the cost. I need to make up for my lack of experience. And second, go conservative, but learn from the example set by the other students.

So that's what I do. Check out my super awesome piece of silk:


Note to self: I have a whole box of silk paint that I picked up at a garage sale. Maybe I could make beautiful silk. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment