Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An Ode to Bunnies on a Lovely Fall Day

Ah, fall is here. The weatherman has been predicting that tomorrow the temperature will be 60 degrees. We'll see. But in the meantime, today it is in the 50s, which is good enough for me.

So today I am celebrating the return of my friend Denise and her son Zak from the Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh. They have been there for more than two months, and Zak will be sporting a new-to-him heart. I think that both Denise and Zak must be sick to death of time at the hospital, and even time at Ronald McDonald House. They've been away from Denise's other children for so long.

At any rate, Denise has asked me more than once to show pictures of the lovely dyed bunny that I worked on with my friend Val a couple of weeks ago. So I will present it here and let you be the judge. For myself, I love-love-love it. My friend Cheryl from spinning guild sold it to me. Cheryl, you might as well tell those bunnies to just molt away and set aside all the fiber for me. I am a decadent, out of control spinner who needs her daily bunny fix. Besides, now that I've had the pleasure of wearing socks made of bunny and alpaca, courtesy of Georgia, I think I will have no choice but to consume bunny and alpaca on a grander scale.

Sadly, another day has passed in which I am waiting, not very patiently, for my ebay white alpaca. Boy, when that shows up, I am going to paint the town red. OK, maybe not red. But I am definitely going to do another round of dyeing and see what I can come up with.

In the meantime, I have been spinning and spinning and spinning a blend of suri alpaca and huacaya alpaca. It is carmel colored, and I am hopeful that the suri, which is long and hairlike, will give the huacaya extra strength. Yes, it's all about making cast-iron hand-knitted socks for me. Everything else is incidental.

Now here's the bunny fiber:

Purple

Blue

Light Apricot and Orange

Seafoam Green

2 comments:

  1. Oh don't even mention that val was with you in part of your dyeing! Lovely bags..uh that does not sound right! Lovely cotton candy looking fiber treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Val, you're so silly. Take a look at http://spinsomemore.blogspot.com/2010/11/indigo-is-all-about-blues.html, that's where I cover the details of our adventure.

    ReplyDelete