Sunday, July 4, 2010

My Nefarious Plan: Infiltrating the Guild, One Batt at a Time

OK, so every month, I go to guild, and I put my lovely batts of fiber out on a table. And then, when women who can knit walk by, I say, "Psst... wanna trade?" That's right, I lure the knitters, because I can't knit worth a darn. And I like socks. Really, I like socks a lot. So I send my trading partners home with yarn that I've spun up, and they bring me back socks, and I give them batts of roving, and then - this is my big plan - then they come back to guild and spin the fiber that I made. How's that for a plan? And progress is being made. Of course, once I realized that roving was a tradeable commodity, I started thinking bigger. I traded roving for honey. And for more roving. And now I'm thinking... there's got to be someone out there who likes to make sweaters. Yeah, I could use some sweaters.

Psst... wanna trade?

Here's a closer look at the fiber I've been selling:


This one is sooooo soft. It has bunny that my friend Denise gave me, some violet, lots of firestar, and alpaca.


The one on the left is a little darker than the one on the right. It has super soft dark, dark brown alpaca, grey alpaca, white angora bunnie, a smidge of purple rayon, a smidge of blond mohair, and a smidge of silver glitz. It looks dark grey. The one on the right is super soft grey alpaca blended with black mohair. These are both on my "hard to resist spinning" list. There's only about 7 ounces of the glittery stuff, and 15 ounces of the grey left.


This is my friend Denise. I knew I was heading in the right direction with my roving when I gave her a batt of the darker grey, and she immediately asked for another one. She's spinning it in this picture.

This is the darker grey fiber that my very first customer bought from me. She's an amazing spinner. That's a Golding Drop Spindle she's using. And look how thin she spins! She makes really pretty fingerless gloves. Needless to say, negotiations are in progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment