Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Benny's Blue Bunny Fiber is Ready to Be Knit!

As you may recall, I've been working on my stash, which in this case was a lovely blend of cornflower blue alpaca and bunny fiber that I dyed with my friends Kristi and Val, carded on my Patrick Green electric drum carder, spun on an assortment of hand spindles, and then plyed, also on the hand spindles, and named after our dear, departed dog, Benny. I've finally finished spinning and plying it, so now it's time to figure out whether there's enough to make a sweater, and if so, to find a suitable pattern.

What do you think, will this cover me up?

I suppose you want me to measure it, don't you? OK, here's how much fiber there is:  757 yards

Somehow, I don't think that will be enough. Although I am a delicate flower, I am also rather... well let's just settle for not quite as petite as I'd like to be. But we'll see. I really want a sweater.

And here's a close up of how it looks once it's been plied on one of my favorite spindles:

4 comments:

  1. It looks deceptively thin in the picture. My spinning isn't quite consistent enough to be able to do lace weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a lace pattern in heavier yarn to reduce it's density (yards of yarn per area of fabric) and make your yarn go farther?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count your wraps per inch so you can decide how your yarn falls into the traditional categories of worsted, fingering, etc. Then go to Ravelry and see what you can do with 757 yards at that weight. I can't believe you are not more visible in Ravelry. It is a great resource. :)

    If it is soft and light and warm, and because it is from Benny, I would be inclined to do something private. Maybe a camisole. But, it would also make a beautiful shawl. Or pillow.

    ReplyDelete