Monday, October 26, 2015

My Disgusting Smoothie Recipe

There are people in this world who have taken their refined pallets and come up with fine recipes for smoothies and healthy drinks and meals. I searched the library and came up with the following books. I liked them all so much that I bought 3 of the 4 books. I would have bought the 4th book, which was all about making frozen fruit smoothies, but since I will never actually follow a recipe for that, I thought it would be overkill to buy the book. So, here they are:

These books are all written by Julie Morris. She explains what a super food is and what they are supposed to help with.

We've been drinking a smoothie every day for several months now. I have no idea how to tell if the smoothies are helping, but I can at least say that I feel quite healthy and figure it can't hurt.


My current smoothie recipe:

1 cup frozen organic blueberries
1/2 cup frozen organic cherries
1 frozen banana
2+ cups of unsweetened Silk Almond Vanilla - I put two cups in and then add the fruit and then add all the seeds and powders and then I top off the container with more Silk

 To this, I add the following:

1 tbsp organic cacao nibs (raw)
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp organic chia seeds
A handful of organic goji berries
1/2 tsp beet powder
1 tbsp organic hemp seeds (raw, no shell)
1 tbsp organic golden flax seed
1 tbsp powdered peanut butter (I bought this at BJ's)
2 scoops beef protein (I bought this on Amazon)
1 tbsp shredded coconut
1 tsp red maca powder
1 tbsp cinnamon

I like my smoothies to have a little substance to them, so I don't blend them overly long. This makes them crunchy. I think most people would not like a crunchy smoothie... if not, then I wouldn't bother with the cacao nibs. After blending, I pour off half of this for my husband, and then I break out the spinach and fill the cup up with that and blend a second time. My smoothie is, as a result, bigger than my husband's. His smoothie comes out purple, mine a murky greenish purple.

I haven't calculated how many calories this makes up, but I don't particularly care. This is my breakfast. My husband eats a full breakfast in addition to the smoothie. I added the beef protein because I don't think I eat enough protein. I was also hoping it would make me feel more full for longer. It does not make me feel more full.

I tried adding dehyrated maqui berries, and they nearly killed me. The seed is like a small rock. It absolutely does not get digested. Just take my word for it. But I'm not giving up - I ordered powdered maqui berries this week.

I buy most of the ingredients (the seeds and powders) for the smoothies from www.nuts.com. I comparison shopped and concluded that buying from nuts.com was less expensive than buying from the grocery store, even with shipping included.

I would not, if I were you, follow my recipe for a healthy smoothie. I'm just slogging in whatever I've got that looks interesting. My methodology, to quote an old boyfriend who felt the urge to describe my cooking style, is the "dump" method. I dump a little of this, a little of that, and if I can swallow the smoothie afterward, whatever went in the last time goes in the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment