Monday, October 11, 2010

Oh I Been to Californy With A Spindle On My Knee!

Good news - you can spin on an airplane. Well, if you use a drop spindle. There's not enough room for a wheel. And people get CRANKY if you hang over the side of your seat into the aisle while you're spinning. That didn't stop me from spinning in the aisle, but there certainly were a lot of people who blew past me as if I were doing an injustice to the world.

So yes, I went to California, and I carried my spinning with me. When we got to Atlanta and were delayed for two hours, I was delighted. I sat near the gate and spent my time spinning, chatting up fellow delayed passengers, and listening to the stories that various people told to try and get bumped up to a better seat or given a seat in the first place. My personal favorite was the man who came up and explained that he had a pacemaker. Nope, that didn't work. The only one that worked, in fact, was the man I like to call "Mr. Frequent Flying Scowler". Mr. Scowler hit the gate with determination, explained that he was a frequent flyer, and demanded a seat. A bulkhead, first class, or, if all that was not possible, then an aisle seat. He was the only passenger who seemed to make any progress. And at first, I was rooting against him. Really, he seemed to think the entire airline should stop for him.

After a while, though, I decided that Mr. Frequent Flying Scowler deserved a seat. He actually stood at the gate, scowling at the gate ladies, for almost two hours. You have to give him credit for standing by like that. Eventually the gate ladies offered up some money to his fellow passengers, and he got his seat. Toward the end, he was smiling. I wanted to take his picture, but my camera is terribly big and conspicuous, and I did not want to risk having him scowl at me for two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment