Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Patrick Green Drum Carder on Craigslist

I just came across this on the Rochester craiglist:

Drum Carder- Patrick Green - $400 (Gates, NY)

Gently used Patrick Green Deb's Deluxe Drum Carder for sale. Used for preparing wool and other fibers for hand spinning. Includes doffing stick, brush, and 20 pages of notes and information that it came with. I bought this new and used is a little bit. It's in excellent condition. Sells new for $525.

I would buy it myself, but am fairly sure there is something in my marital vows about limiting the number of drum carders to two. I have a Patrick Green Electric Drumcarder, and I think it is the bee's knees, and I have Tom Anderson's manual Fancy Kitty drum carder.

But I must confess - and please, don't tell my husband - that even when you have two drum carders, you cannot help but suffer from drum carder lust as new ones become available. I have this same issue with vacuum cleaners.

If I were going to buy another electric drum carder, the one I would buy is called the Fancy Kitty Big Tom. My non-electric drum carder is a Fancy Kitty, and my adoration for this brand stems partly from having worn out the belt within the first six months. Tom replaced it free and didn't even make fun of me for finding a way to beat the belt off the carder so quickly.

It looks like you can control the speed on both the little drum and the big drum on the Fancy Kitty Big Tom, which looks really cool to me. I can only affect the larger drum on the Patrick Green. To properly appreciate the Big Tom, look up "electric drum carder" on youtube - the demos I've seen have these fiber artists just slapping the fiber down willy nillly. I have to be relatively careful with the Patrick Green to make sure I don't overload it.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, drum carder, i would like one of those; it's on my wishlist. i've been eyeing the louet (nothing fancy just the classic) because the teeth are nice and long so you can pack on 2 oz of fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you sell your pat green?Thank you for your answer.Michèle

    ReplyDelete