Monday, November 8, 2010

The Most Romantic Man Ever

Please don't tell my husband, but last month at the guild meeting, a woman showed off something in show-and-tell that warmed the cockles of my heart and convinced me that romance is absostinkinglutely not dead. Yes, her husband bought her qiviut. For those of you who are not spinners, qiviut is the pricey and prized fiber of the muskox. Unlike sheep wool, it doesn't shrink, and it is the softest, softest fiber you can possibly imagine. And so, this woman, Sharilyn, showed up with qiviut, given to her by her husband. Well, of course we all felt it, wouldn't you?

 ahhhh... the precious qiviut

In fact, if it was possible to "scoop" the meeting, then this woman did, as her daughter came with her with a brand new wheel, and showed us a hat made a la Harry Potter. We all oohed and aahed. Imagine, having a daughter who likes the same things you do.


As if that wasn't enough, check out the lovely fiber that Sharilyn was working on:

mmmm... fall colors


A sidenote to my sweet husband - no, Honey, you do not need to buy me qiviut, because you know I would want, like, four pounds of it, rather than four ounces, and so we all have to show a little restraint sometime.

PS - Sharilyn, it turns out, has a blog of her own, and she is terribly interesting and witty. So I will point you to her blog so you can see more of her spinning and knitting: http://www.knittymom.com/ I must confess, I find myself terribly jealous of her sock knitting skills, particularly because right now I am jonesing for some new socks. Can a girl ever have enough hand-knit socks? I think not.

Jonesing for a qiviut source? Oh yeah, I found one. Take a look at R.H. Lindsay Company. You can buy Musk Ox for $200/pound, and they'll let you buy it in smaller quantities, bless them. I haven't actually bought from them yet, but they're on my short list for when I run out of silk and mohair.

1 comment:

  1. qiviut...drool. i want! i'd be happy with just a thimble full (to pet every now and then).

    ReplyDelete